Who loves chili? I DO!!
I made this yesterday for a boy scout Blue and Gold dinner, and it went quick! I've had family and friends request the recipe, as well. So- why keep this yummy dish to myself, when I can post it here for others to discover? It's a recipe I've been using for years, which I believe came from the South Beach Diet.
I ALWAYS double, and sometimes triple, this recipe to feed more than 4 people.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ½ tablespoon chili powder with ½ tablespoon adobo sauce
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 can (7.5 oz) kidney beans
- 1 can (7.5 oz) black beans
- 1 can (7.5 oz) pinto beans
- 1 can (7.25 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- Mix chipotle and adobo sauce with diced tomatoes, and puree in blender or food processor.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic, saute about 5 minutes, stirring often to prevent garlic from burning.
- Add the ground turkey and brown, breaking up the larger pieces, along with oregano and cumin.
- Add tomato paste and stir to mix well with turkey.
- Follow with the chipotle tomato mixture, all the beans, and, finally, the chicken broth.
- Mix the chili well and bring to a boil for just a minute, then reduce to a simmer.
- Let simmer covered for at 20 minutes, but I go for 30 minutes in a covered crockpot.
- Adjust seasoning, or thin to taste and serve.